The first word that comes to mind in regard to a.p. testing is "fuck". That was the hardest test I've ever taken. Not including those chemistry tests and shit where you don't know what the chapters about, I actually know history, and that test was a bitch. All that studying, all the preperation, all that pencil sharpening, and wow.
The test started out with a multiple choice section that most likely kicked my ass. I didn't even know the first question. Do you know how demoralizing that is? I don't know the first damn question of an 80 question test? In fact, it was such a bitch that there were in all actuality maybe 7 or 8 questions that I for sure knew the awnser to. I made some solid guesses and figured out alot of the other questions, but boy was it hard. When #47 mentioned German appeasement I immidiately looked for Neville Chamberlain, and there he was, awnser E. You get the idea.
But the really hard part was the essays. Regardless of whether this fine literary device, Here it Goes Again, shows it or not, I'm actually a pretty decent writer. But it doesn't matter how well you can use words if you can't describe what the college board wants you to focus on. The Essay portion was divided into three parts, a Data Based Question, a group of three topics in which you choose one to write about, and another group of three in which you write about one topic. The last group of three blew my mind. Here were the prompts:
1. Analyze and explain the changing roles of women socially, economically, and politically in 18th century Europe. Now not to be sexist and what not, but women, with few exceptions, do nothing in Europe until the mid to late 1800s, and even now I can't think of anything significant other than the discovery of Radium by Madame Curie, but really, who cares?
2. Explain the causes of anti-semitism in the 18th century. Again, anti-semitism in the 1700s was nothing in particular. Befor World War Two, sure I can do that, but the only important thing that happen in the 1700s was America, and thats a fact, Jack.
3. Analyze the challenges to Enlightenment thought in Napoleonic and Revolutionary France. Hot damn, this one's spicy. I chose to respond to this one, and looking back did a thoroughly alright job. I of course mentioned the Napoleonic Code, the Thermidorean Reaction, and the roles of women (?), like a total boss.
As I left the church in which the test was being proctored in, I walked out the front doors, and with much desperation and relief whispered, "holy fuck". Upon realizing my mistake I said a quick prayer and sorted it out with the big guy. Word.
Also, a huge thank you to Carole Green for spending a full day reviewing for that damn test with me, it actually helped alot.

1 comment:
Welcome back! You have been missed.
- Mike
Post a Comment