Sunday, November 25, 2007

italian food

As I climbed out of the way back seat of my brother's Explorer, I could have sworn I had been to this restaraunt before. But then we all walked inside, and it was totally new to me. 'Cafe Cortina' ehhh? I'll give it a shot. The atmosphere was quite nice, lots of candles and other dim lights with leather chairs, 'This might not be too bad' I thought to myself. Someone grabbed my coat and led us to our table. Waiting at our table were two waitors, 'hmmm, must be a slow night or something'. As I circled around the table to my seat one of the waitors pulled my chair out for me 'that was nice of him'. I sat down and said thank you, and he replied with a "gratzi senore" or something like that. 'Shit, these guys speak Italian. Shit, this is gonna be embarassing'. Then the other waitor grabbed my napkin that was folded in front of me and laid it across my nap. 'whoah, back off bro, its a napkin, I got it'. And then a third waitor came up to our table and said, "Senore, senora, may I offer you either purified water, spring water, or common house water?" 'Ohh my god, are you serious? Three kinds of water, you're kidding me.' Mom said she'd take the regular water and I just nodded my head. Im almost positive they only had regular water and just guessed that nobody would ask for the other two kinds, but whatever.

As I looked over the menu which was in all Italian, I tried to find the meal that was not only cheap, but was easy to pronounce. But as I did that, I couldn't help but wonder where the back room was where all the mafia guys are. You know, the no windows one door in one door out room with the big oak desk against the back wall with a portrait of an old fat guy behind the desk. I saw one definately Italian looking guy go through a back hallway and didn't see him come back. I'll let you decide. Besides the back room, I was thinking of all the Italian people I knew that might come through that door. Of course James Gandolfini, and also the painter Titorelli and the mafia from The Simpsons. That's weird, two of three are related to the mafia, and the other was character from a book. Ahh, the mafia. Anyways, it was time to order our entree. I decided not to order and carni, since it was expensive as balls, I went with some pasta. All the pasta sounded the same to me, I mean it all had noodles. But I ordered the Tortelli, because it's easier to say.

Then the dinner came out. I must say that after my salad and 6 pieces of bread, I wasn't as hungry as before, but I was game for some tortelli. It came out and it look pretty good. For all you Italian food nubes tortelli is like a pocket of pasta with something in there, in this case ground lamb meet. I took impaled the little pocket thing with my fork and made sure to get a bunch of that creamy white sauce. As I bit into it I regretted watching the Man vs. Wild episode where Bear is treated to a delicacy of goat testicles by one of the indigenous tribes. Well as I bit into the soft, meaty, white pasta pocket with lots of white sauce on it, I almost couldn't bring myself to swallow it.

We had dessert and what not and then left the restraunt to get in the car, where I froze my ass off until the heat got to the way back. Overall a good night. Word.

No comments: