Monday, November 5, 2007

the room

Because of last weekend and the day off school tomorrow, I've found myself pretty much doing nothing all day, just the way it should be. This has given me some serious time to improve and pimpify my room.

On some pretty short notice Sunday I was called in to do some babysitting at Mike and Julie's. Usually its not too bad since Katie sleeps the whole time, there's always food in the fridge, and they just got a new t.v. But this time I was getting something better, something I could take home with me; the most comfortable chair I have ever graced my ass with. I couldn't figure out why they didn't want it anymore, I mean excluding the people in the house, that chair is number 1. As I heard the garage door go signaling the return of the parentals, I put my shoes on and got ready to load up the chair in Mom's volvo, you know the white SUV, aka 'the yeti'. Mike let me lift the heavy stuff and watched me try to fit it in the back. As I twisted it and flipped the chair around I kept hearing "what are you doing?" and "you could just leave the back up". Well that wasn't gonna fly. Now Mike's an engineer, so when he gave up on fitting that plaid perfection in the back, it was more incentive to keep going. I pretty much had to twist the chair like a light bulb into the socket, and with the ottoman and the chair in the back, it was just as tight a fit. Good thing he's not a packaging engineer.
So after I dented the walls and scratched the paint hauling my catch into my room, I finally got to enjoy it. Coincidence that I beat the hard part of Halo while sitting in the new chair, something that had been impossible before, I think not. As I contemplated how to improve the cave, Mom came upstairs and informed me that the walls were being painted tomorrow. "Well, shit happens", I thought, "oh well". But then she said I had to move all my stuff from my room to the other bedroom. Yes, this meant moving trophies, books, books I've never seen, books I've never read, and a ton of 'Tropical Fish Hobbyist'. But what I found made me take a step back and remeber the fun times:
I wish I was joking, but those may well have been some of the very last books on shelves that have been read. But can you blame me, after all, Bill Peet is a master writer. Besides the bedtime stories of the caboose, wumps, and Kermit, I had to move a buttload of trophies. Normally this wouldn't be a bad thing, and this time was no exception. Every one I picked up reminded me of the season and team they were from. The soccer trophies from age 8-13 with Mr. Cauzillo, the baseball trophies representing the domination of the Mr. Greenman led Giants from the late '90s to early '00s. And of course the second place relay trophy that was only red instead of blue because of the 1/100 of a second that I lost to the state champ in the 50 free by. I felt good after that race too, until I looked at the scoreboard. I had the lead and lost by 1/100 of a second. You can't even time that much, only a computer can. That's like a blower on the bottom of the pool pushing water into your lane. Oh, and that would have been a league record by over a second if we won it. Shit. But guess what, I'll win it next year, again. Just like I did the year before this previous letdown. But anyways, the wall color is still undecided and Halo has been set up in the basement, so not all is lost. Also, in case you were wondering, that paint smell is really getting to me. My head hurts, I think that is bad. Word.

9 comments:

Jim said...

i didn't know you played for the cubs in '97. were you going for the 'rookie of the year' halloween costume?

clay said...

All I'll say is that '97 was a magical year, almost as magical as 'Rookie of the Year'. That movie and 'Sandlot' were pretty much the only ones I watched when I was really little. Henry Rowengartner is amazing.

Jim said...

i don't know, he put baseball ahead of working on the boat and his pudgy little friend got all pissed. obviously has some growing up to do

clay said...

I would disagree seeing as how his friends were totally unable to compromise with Henry's new time restraints. However, their ability to work it out in the end speaks to Henry's understanding and compassion for his friends, especially the pudgy one. Nothing is more grown up than true friendship.

Jim said...

they only made up because henry lost his ability to pitch in the majors. had he continued on his path to stardom he surely would have ended up neck deep in money, women and drugs and would eventually pull a caddy shack marina scene on his old friends (ala the black guy's row boat getting obliterated by al czervic's boat 'seafood')

Anonymous said...

You two have issues.

clay said...

Point taken, but atleast I formed an opinion (ahem, mike).

Anonymous said...

one thing everyone can agree on, Henry's moms advice to loft the ball underhand was one of the more questionable decisions in the history of man.

-chet stedman

clay said...

I would have to agree, her amature softball playing days really paid off for Henry in the midst of a pennant race.