Sunday, March 9, 2008

state meet

On friday and saturday this last week Oakland University held the division one swimming and diving state meet, and like I told my cousin, the meet was the super bowl of swimming. Were we this years Giants, or maybe the Patriots? No, we were more like the Packers, except we don't have a 70 year old heroic grizzled old man leading our team. Ya, a sixth place finish wasn't quite what we were looking for, but I don't care. We bit the living shit out of Stevenson.
So I must have some deep animosity towards that team down six mile, right? No, actually. They're a bunch of guys just like us; hard working, down to earth, and not too bad at swimming either. But you see, after league meet their coach told whatever local equivilent to the Northville Shittyrecord they have in Livonia that they should have beaten us by 100 points at league meet, and that their diver's disqualification was totally ridiculous and even said that diver would have won league meet. Keep in mind we lost by 9 points, 640 something to 650 something. So first things first, that heavenly diver didn't even make the first cut at the regional meet, where our own Kevin Bain moved on to states. But that's not the real problem. That coach said he should have beaten us by 100 points. Our team doesn't take to well to being disrespected like that. You want a hundred points, you asshole? Look at the state meet results.

But during the meet we hung out with the Stevenson kids quite a bit, and even those pranksters from Plymouth. It was a WLAA reunion. I may end up in guantanamo for saying this, but I, along with others, were actually cheering for Stevenson's relays.

The meet was such a big deal that I had my mom pick me up my first fastskin that I didn't borrow from someone else/steal. If you don't know what a fastskin is, it's a ridiculously tight suit that comes in different models that actually repels water off you. Can you walk on water with one? Not quite, but you can come pretty damn close. But my size 30 was tight as hell, and keeping my ass from hanging out was a serious concern.
But I definitley enjoyed the meet, especially a certain part of finals. You see, if you're seeded first in any event after prelims, you get to pick the music that you walk out of the marshaling room to the blocks to. Of the twelve choices, there was some Linkin Park and some other pump up music, but I thoroughly enjoyed "call on me" by eric prydz that Brother Rice's medley chose. It makes sense that Brother Rice would choose a fruity techno song, but everybody loved it anyways.
I celebrated with a mountain dew. word.

2 comments:

Jim said...

so, is it like a racing thong?

clay said...

precisely.