Saturday, December 15, 2007

recap

Once again, in case you haven't heard or didn't care to ask, Northville beat Brother Rice on Thursday, quite badly. But I haven't really had time to really dive deeply into the pool that is the Brother Rice ass kicking, so here we go.

When Harry Master and I pulled into the parking lot at 5:20, we figured we would probably be some of the first people there to set up for the meet at 7:00; Getting chairs, touchpads, and a general deck cleanup. But wait, what's the bus in the over there? The whole BroRice team was in the bus in the back of the parking lot just waiting, for what I don't know. Ohh wait, I know. They were waiting for the home team to show up.

So after that confusing start, we got the deck all cleaned up and ready to go. After that we warmed up, which was thoroughly average, as warm up usually is. I was pretty nervous, because after all it's not every day you're swimming four events in a meet and expected to win or come in second in all those events. But let me tell you, after a good Rich locker room talk, I was ready to go. Something to the more polite extent of, "They're state champs but you better not be scared of them". Let's tear this shit up.

The meet started, and as usual with big meets, the pool was packed. The first event was the 200 Medley Relay. I swam the free and when it was time for me to dive in we were about a second back. To be totally honest, the kid swimming me kicked my ass even though I went a 23.4, but it doens't matter how bad you kick my ass if my team takes 2-3-4. Then came the fidy, where I did not too bad. Well, actually kinda bad. I took 4th and went a 24.3. Whatever. The rest of the meet went okay, and I tore up my fly and the 200 Free relay. Toward the end, with the help of our divers, the feeling was that, "wow, we are kicking their ass". That feeling stayed the rest of the night, and was reinforced when I heard Rich say to b.o.b.,"Just nobody fall in the pool". That was the best thing I heard all night.

After we metaphorically plucked the feathers off the chief's headdresses, we went out to Branns. It was already 9:30, but I don't give a shit. I'm hungry and just won the biggest meet of my life. So the thirty of us went into our back room that we know so well and sat down to some of those trivia cards. Who knew that Iceland had the most tractors per capita? I did, because I know everything. Just kidding, I guessed Russia. But there was a sense of hesitation among the upperclassmen. Something was missing. Yeast rolls. I was the first to spot the waitress bringing them out, and played it cool until she walked right by, at which time I lunged across the table and grabbed a basket of her tray. With the other hand I grabbed the cinnamon butter and miraculously pulled out my steak knife to keep the other punks my shit. The freshman need to learn that yeast rolls are a privelage for upperclassmen because they are so good. There simply aren't enough for them to have any when I have three, and there is no way I am going to sacrafice my yeast rolls. Ever. After my 1 lb. bacon cheddar burger, it was time to go home. I gave our waitress "Gooch" (not joking, her name was actually gooch) a tip and left. I got home at 11:20 or something like that, but I don't care. We beat BroRice, bad.

Today was our relay meet, which is pretty much not important at all. In fact, Rich uses it as a way to humble us in front of the rest of the league by putting together relays that are good, but not nearly as good as we can make. We lost in every relay except for one to Stevenson. Point taken Rich, our B relays aren't quite as good as Stevenson's A relays. Anyways, the good thing is that there are medals for the meet. I got a couple silvers today for the 400 Medley and the 200 Backstroke relays. All a good day's work. In case you were wondering, my 100 free split was a 52.9. Not too bad, but not great. Now we have about 36 hours off until more swimming, I plan to enjoy every one of them, starting with the pizza in the oven. Word.

No comments: