Thursday, October 18, 2007

into the wild

So I was in the basement bench pressing like 400 lbs. when I heard the new Eddie Vedder song "Big Hard Sun" which happens to be the title song for the new movie Into the Wild. There hasn't been a movie I really, I mean really, wanted to see since Superbad, and not that I am drooling to see this film, but I'm definately interested. My understanding is that its about a man who gives up everything he has to go live in the Alaskan wilderness with bears or something crazy like that. Maybe I'm drawn to it because I can see myself doing that, except the living with bears part and I would have a, how do you say, attractive woman come with me. Yeah, maybe I am crazy, but I'd at least carry a gun, but whatever. I didn't read the book, so I don't know any of the details, but its America, who cares about details. But that gets me going on something else- those people who are so self-righteous about how they read the book before seeing the movie because the book is always better.

Now I agree that often the book is better than the movie, just look at Harry Potter, and my personal favorite, Jurassic Park. Micheal Crighton's masterpiece was probably one of the best books I've read (and the movie was sweet too), which is on a very short list: I haven't read many books. But anyway, I didn't read all 17,549 pages of LORT, but you know what? The movie was absolutely bitchin', and if I read all 17,549 pages of Tolkein I might jump off a bridge into a sea of literature based films, and I would enjoy every second of the fall.

Much like my death would be symbolic of my beliefs, that guy in Into the Wild ends up as a lazy brunch for those Kodiak bears, but it could have been dinner- I don't have the details. Anyways I'm looking forward to seeing a movie that is worth discussing with NHS's own film afficionado Tim Ortopan.

In other news tommorow a group of us are going to the last cross country meet to cheer, in a manly way, the girls team to absolute victory. When they run by us, we're taking off our pants/sweatshirts, revealing the name of one runner painted across our chests. We're bringing sexy back. Word.

No comments: