Saturday, October 27, 2007

Megaloceros- latin for "check yourself before you wreck yourself"

Julie, Jelso, and I were coming home from playing a pretty lame game of kidnapped last night. It had been drizzling all day, which mad kidnapped extremely muddy which hence made my car extremely muddy. But anyways Julie said something about driving through a puddle when I spotted two eyes down the street. I flashed my brights and saw it was a doe (girl deer for all you "I'm too cool to care about Michigan animals" people out there). A few minutes before I thought to myself that we would probably see some deer or sasquatch, and eliminating sasquatch, I determined we would probably see deer. They're at the house all the time. Before the days started getting noticably shorter you could practically time when they would pass through the backyard, so it was no suprise to me when at 10:14 we spotted the first deer crossing the street into the vacant lot. My biology sense was tingling: does rarely travel alone, plus they wouldn't be bedded down in the rain. With no regard for any possible oncoming traffic, I T-boned the street and shined my lights into the yard. There were four does in the yard just hanging out. Nothing too out of the ordinary, except I thought I spotted something towards the back. As the other deer began to walk away into the woods, the shape came closer and into the light. It was a buck, only the second I had ever seen. In all my years at 468hundo Pickford, I had only seen 1, count it, 1 buck- and it barely counted, not very masculine. But this was a haus. Immediately as I pulled into the old driveway I could sense Jelso's fear, and I noticed him shivering in the back seat. Once I reassured him it wasn't Mrs. Vala he came around. I couldn't make out too many details at first, it was raining and dark out, but the deer came closer. As he walked diagonally closer to us I could tell his antlers were big. The one time I don't bring my camera with me something actually important happens, but the picture of megaloceros (native to Scotland and Westen Europe during the Ice Age) above closely resembled our spotting. Jelso and I tried to figure out if it was a 6 or 8 or maybe even 10 point. We finally decided it was a 4x4. Then it hit Jelso; an 8 point deer could really do some damage to a car. He actually thought for a second the monster was going to charge us. It was a valid fear, but belive me, I just got the car out of the shop and I would have hand to hoof wrestled/killed it before he thought about going at my windsheild. I will say that the deer seemed extremly tame, as it kept eating and gave us the occasional ear flick. I felt disrespected, not that I would blatantly hurt a deer, but it doesn't know that, it ought to be scared of me. So anyway, as Julie sat mesmorized, and as Jelso convulsed in the back seat, I watched the deer walk into the woods following the others.
We came back to my house and watched Storm Chasers in the basement. We weren't in a TIV (tornado intercept vehicle), nor were we chasing thunderstorms capable of producing tornadoes across northern Texas, but we did see a big, big deer. The similarities are too obvious to point out in greater detail. As I drove the remaining hundred or so yards to my own home, I worried if mom had let Louis out that night. A beautiful deer like that would be a shame to loose. Word.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

o dang...best one yet

Anonymous said...

so im just bored and surfin this, but i like how u spell "hoss" as "haus", youve been around me too much.

Anonymous said...

The monster was in our back yard this morning at 8:15!!!!